Monday 31 October 2011

[Scans|Trans] CNBLUE on ‘B-PASS’ – “We look forward for more people to know our music”

Scans by CNBurningHARU
Re-uploaded by L@cnbluestorm
Translated by CNBLove@cnbluestorm
Edited by fizzy@cnbluestorm

B-PASS Magazine
December 2011 Issue
B-PASS Editor’s postscript
 The BGM during shooting was of course “In My Head”
 ~The encounter on that day~
The shooting was finished and before the interview, YongHwa picked up the latest issue of B-PASS (NOV issue) from the table. The cover and top page feature was the GazettE, he looked at them and said something. “What did you say?” I asked him and he said “We met them at a studio before!”
The interview was held a studio in Tokyo this time. They seemed to have interviews for their major debut since the morning for all day.
It was the day after their last indie live concert at Yokohama Arena, I thought and worried that the members must be exhausted. But I didn’t have to worry about it. They came into the studio with livelily saying “Otukaresamade~su. (수고하셨어요 -Thanks for your hard work.)” while the crew was preparing. We got them changed at once and we started shooting the solo photos from the one was ready.
We created the space of greyish with the lightning adjustment and the theme was Cool & Stylish, we did it from the image of “In My Head” in those photos this time. How were they?  We took different patterns of group photos distantly and each member’s solo photos closely to stand out those tall members’ standing position.
But there are not many bands the members are all tall. Also they have long legs!!
The ones we took distantly were really nice that the silhouette of their trim figures extended from the white wall in the studio. By the way, the members who were waiting for their solo shoot after getting ready, watched the video of their Yokohama Arena live concert on PC. Then after finishing photo shooting, we carried on to the interview.
At first, I interviewed about their impressions of the live concert at Yokohama Arena, they found it was interesting to perform on the round stage. Often it really sparked up the conversations. (laugh) 


CNBLUE ~In My Head~
CNBLUE is a twin guitar & vocal band from Korea. Through the live performances at clubs and on the streets they gained a lot of experience. At last they had their major debut with “In My Head”! We’ll talk about their works and their last indie live concert at Yokohama Arena.

We look forward for more people to know our music.

-Congratulations to your major debut at last! You’ve done indie activities since 2 years ago, did you picture yourselves having the “major debut” back then?
YongHwa: “We had many of street live performances in 2009. When we performed in Yoyogi Park where Yoyogi Taiikukan was next to it, we always looked at it thinking “We want to have live concert at the venue like that” At time we had a vague dream.”
JongHyun: “When we were performing street live in Yoyogi Park and I saw people going to Yoyogi Taiikukan are passing by, I was thinking ‘There’s a live concert of someone today. They have so many fans…’ I thought that ‘Will we able to stand on the stage there someday?’ ‘When will it be?”
MinHyuk: “At that time, it was not a matter of whether we have our major debut quick. But while we were looking at many live performances around, we thought ‘We want to perform at a venue like this. Will we be able to do that?’ I was only thinking about the live concert.”
JungShin: “I was the same. I just performed earnestly as I wanted as many people as possible to see our live performances, rather than concrete thought about being a major or an indie band in those days.”


-CNBLUE often says that “We learn a lot from Japanese music scene.” Do you have any specific points you can learn?
YongHwa: “I think Japanese music scene has a lot of freedom and there are many unique bands that are not affected by trends. There is so much to learn just seeing such a wide variety of bands.”
JongHyun: “In my case, I learned the basic of the band scene in Japan. When I first started as an indie band, I learned how to practice instruments by looking at the bands around us.”
-What did you learn from those live performances?
JungShin: “The more we go through the live performances, we gradually became aware of performing in tune with the audiences. Also when we prepare for the tour, we learn a lot of instrumental technique.”
JongHyun: “Also keeping myself in good shape when I’m on the tour. I didn’t realise this until I started going on the tour. The most important thing is the pacing. If I try too hard, I can’t perform next day.”


-By the way, did you get any advice from FTISLAND who belong the same agency and major debuted before you?
MinHyuk: “We talk a lot with JaeJin (Bass), as JungShin and I are the same age.”
JungShin: “They are a senior band to us, but we are almost the same age and good friends. JaeJin tells me about their major activities in Japan. He gives me advice to do my best at live concerts and also the promotion as major scene let us many people to know the band colour.”
-Well, let’s talk about your debut single. Firstly, how did you make those three numbers?
YongHwa: “I had written ‘In My Head’ long time ago. And the other two numbers were to fit for the concept of the single.”



When did you write “In My Head”?
JongHyun: “I think it was an early last year?”
YongHwa: “I think it was when we were campaigning “I’m A Loner” in Korea. Yes, it was in January!” -Did you write right after the debut in Korea and in the middle of busy days?
YongHwa: “I always tend to store up songs.”
JongHyun: “The rough idea was written while we were campaigning “I’m A Loner”, but we got busier we just left it without completing it. Then I suggested to YongHwa ‘This song is really good, so why don’t you re-arrange it.’ With that, it formally became our debut number as a completed version.”
MinHyuk: “I remember when I listened to this song for the first time, I thought about how to beat out the rhythm on a drum and I played my drum to the tune of this song.”
JungShin: “I remember saying ‘It’s a good song.’ as soon as I listened to it. I wanted to complete it and make it our main sound, I’m so glad that it became our major debut song.”


-It must be a fate, the song you made when you major debuted in Korea becoming the Japan major debut song.
YongHwa: “If I think about it, yes it must be so. There were songs to choose, but ‘In My Head’ was chosen as we thought as it’s our major debut song, it should be something has a strong impact, full of energy and strong rock image.”
JongHyun: “This song was re-arranged three times before we recorded.”
YongHwa: “At first, it had a base of tune what we created, and then arranged it to a hard tune, also we arranged it to a soft tune, tried differently. Finally we chose the one we thought was the coolest parts and recorded.”
-Well, talking about the lyric of “In My Head” now. I think there’re rhythmical parts, wasn’t it difficult?
YongHwa: “The part of ‘Setunakumo Amai Negai~’, right? It’s filled with words, so it was difficult to break the rhythm.”
JongHyun: “Conversely, I thought Japanese language is interesting.”
YongHwa: “We had a hard time when I recorded it, my mouth got used to it now. ‘Kiramekini Furetai~, Setunakumo Amai Negai~’, like this (smile)”
JungShin: “’Burerukotonai Kibouyo~♪’ (sang a tune, not to be outdone by YongHwa) I can’t do it, my mouth can’t keep up (laugh).”
-How about the second song that YongHwa wrote and composed. “Mr. KIA (Know It All)” is an interesting title.
YongHwa: “English is often shortened overseas, so I tried that.”
-“Rain of Blessing” that JongHyun composed, is a soft tune.
JongHyun: “I couldn’t find any tunes that I had already composed and I composed it from scratch. I watched many dramas and films, I put the emotions in myself, and then I started composing.”
-What dramas or films did you watch?
JongHyun: “I watched ‘Bara No Nai Hanaya (Flower Shop Without Roses)’, ‘Sekai no Chushinde Ai wo Sakebu (Crying out Love, In the Centre of the World) ’. I chose a little bit wistful ones and watch. I always watch Japanese dramas and films when I compose. I think the music or albums are one of those stories.”
-Well, what story is in your debut single “In My Head”?
YongHwa: “’In My Head’ is to have a goal and do forward into the future. ‘Mr.KIA (Know It All)’ is to tell not to forget the enthusiasm people had at the beginning when they lost their goals. “Rain of Blessing” is to end with the impression that is enfolding all of the feelings. It was made in such flow.”
JongHyun: “The most important thing is to show that CNBLUE has a different styles of music like those three numbers.”
-Let’s talk about the live concert at Yokohama Arena which you successfully ended yesterday. You checked the video earlier, didn’t you?
YongHwa: “It was great.”
JungShin: “I couldn’t believe that we performed in front of that many people. I was like ‘Is it really us?’”
JongHyun: “I worried about things didn’t go satisfactorily just after we finished the live concert. But when I watched the video objectively…..The atmosphere was very good. It made me think that I could do well.”
MinHyuk: “Especially this time, we had very good harmony with the audiences.”
-As it was your last indie live concerts to make a new start, I suppose there were changes or growth of each member, if you look back now. Please tell us what was changed of the member next to you!
YongHwa: “As for JongHyun, his guitar technique has improved and also his stage performance got a lot better. Ah, his Japanese improved quite well!”
JongHyun: “It’s because I watch so many Japanese dramas….. (sheepish grin) As for JungShin, he looks so cool just standing by his nature. There are bassists that the size of bass is conspicuous sometime, but the bass fit in JungShin’s body. That means he gained the performance skill.”
JungShin: “MinHyuk practiced intently even he was busy acting in a Korean drama. I was amazed with his ability to learn and achieve what he has to even in a short time.”
MinHyuk: “I think YongHwa is a great person that leads us and the audiences in any circumstances as he is on the stage. Seeing other three from my drum seat, it makes me happy as I can see them really enjoy their time.”
-Why did YongHwa suddenly started the audience wave at the last half.
YongHwa: “Hehehe…. (reminiscent smile) I suddenly wanted to do. So I put my guitar down and went to stir up the audiences.”
JongHyun: “I thought we would play the next song, but YongHwa put his guitar down. So I instantly thought ‘What happened!?’ He started doing wave with the audiences in the venue without notice, I was impressed.”
MinHyuk: “The audiences became one!”


You’ll start ZEPP Tour at the end of this year, and ZEPP Tour is the second time for you. What does ZEPP mean to you?
YongHwa: “ZEPP is the venue we can learn a lot. Standing on as many stages as we can is the more important thing than anything else. We think ZEPP Tour is pretty much essential.”
JongHyun: “We’ve come to perform at large venues recently, we want to perform at a venue like ZEPP where our staffs are around us and we can communicate up close. I like that closeness and size.” -Then you’ll have the tour final live concert at Yoyogi Taiikukan.
YongHwa: “I’m so happy with the live concert at Yokohama Arena yesterday. I’m so full with excitement, because I can perform at Yoyogi Taiikukan next time, the place where I always saw during our street lives. I have a thought we have to improve our skills more and show it on the stage.”
JongHyun: “I still can’t believe that I can stand on the stage at Yoyogi where I dreamed of. It can’t be true.”
YongHwa: “If my dreams come true, I want to perform at Tokyo Dome next year! Also I want to perform at Budokan as a band. The last one will be at Tokyo Tower.” (all of members laughed)
JongHyun: “Where the audience will be then?”
YongHwa: “I want them to watch us on LED screen on the ground. Ah, there’s Sky Tree as well.”
-How about Namsan Tower in Seoul?
YongHwa: “We can’t get many people as it’s on the top of mountain.” (laugh)
JongHyun: “Well, (the largest building in Seoul) how about 63 building? We perform on the rooftop of the building and we have the whole building as a relay screen!”
YongHwa: “We can’t get into the rooftop of the 63 building.” (weirdly realistic)
MinHyuk: “Where is the higher one?”
YongHwa: “In the end it’ll be the Statue of Liberty in New York. (all burst of laughter) The place she holds the fire.”
-There is the Statue of Liberty in Tokyo Odaiba….
YongHwa: “Not that one! (grumpy laugh) The one in New York!”
JungShin: “We have to have our dreams high.”
YongHwa: “Yes, indeed. So Tokyo Dome, Tokyo Tower, and then the Statue of Liberty from next year on. OK, staff!!”


Questions and Answers from “In My Head”

Q1. What is in your head the most just now?
YongHwa: “Practice, practice, practice, practice….”
JongHyun: “CNBLUE, practice, live performance, guitar, music, memorise the lyrics….. I’m too busy to think anything else.”
JungShin: “CNB…” (just as he started speaking, YongHwa said) ‘JungShin doesn’t think about anything’ (laugh) “Yes, I do! About the band!”
MinHyuk: “I want to improve my skill, I want to do my best, both performance and talk.”
Q2. What dream did you see recently?
YongHwa: “I keep dreaming something scary. I often dream being chased and running away. Maybe it’s because I’m so busy recently.”
JongHyun: “I try to memorise the lyrics even in my dream.” (laugh)
JungShin: “I often dream about my school life.”
MinHyuk: “Nightmare. I didn’t dream that often before, but recently I dream that I fail in something or things don’t go well.”
Q3. What Japanese word are you interested in?
YongHwa: “‘Ima Hima? (Are you free now?)’ It’s something comes my mind. I want to make full use of it.”
Editor: “It’s a cliché for picking up girls.”
YongHwa: “Oh, in that case, it’s not a good one.”
Editor: “Oh, well, we use it in our daily life though.”
YongHwa: “Are you free now?” (picking up JongHyun who sat next to him).
JongHyun: “‘Samazama na (various)’ I learned that it’s the same as ‘Iroiro na’ for our live concert yesterday.”
JungShin: “(after heard what YongHwa said) ‘Ocha Shinai? (Do you want go for a cup of tea?)’ ” (picking up YongHwa)
MinHyuk: “‘Guruguru (swirl)’ The stage at Yokohama Arena was swirling.”

Live Concert Report CNBLUE 2nd Album Release Live ~392~ @ Yokohama Arena, 25th October 2011

CNBLUE stood on the stage at Yokohama Arena for their last indie live concert. When each member appeared through the runways that were extended from four quarters leading to the stage in centre, there was a cheer surged from the seats. For this large stage, they showed composure on their faces. The audiences gradually heated up with their nonstop performance. “We will devote all to you on this live concert today! YongHwa gave his faith to the audiences and JongHyun said “I lay my life on this stage!” Starting with “I’m A Loner” that was a hit number in Korea followed by their hit numbers in Korea, YongHwa stir up the audiences with his rap like bullet attack. In the ballad number, the transparent voice of JongHyun enfolded the audience. And they played “Man in front of the Mirror” from their latest album “392” for the first time. The round stage like a disc often turned around, the members running around. It looked like an amusement park’s main attraction. They made the audiences surprised with playing one chorus of the major debut number “In My Head” at the encore. Then they ended with “a.ri.ga.tou.” that they sang heartily with the audiences. It was just like “the eve of the major debut” when I saw the excitement that the whole audiences became one on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment